8. CLOSED COURTYARDS AND SANCTUARIES
LOCATION: ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE OF KITION
CHRONOLOGY: 13th - 4th century BC
QR: 97
DESCRIPTION:

A closed courtyard, Temenos B (its entrance shown in yellow as no.1) was constructed to the east of Temple 1. The entrance from the courtyard to the temple was outside the main axis of the sanctuary (in purple as no.2), an architectural feature typical of the sanctuaries of the Levant.

Temenos B was constructed around 1200 BC, after Temple 2 (in red as no.3). Temples 2 and 3 are the earliest sanctuaries in the area.

Two stone capitals with stepped profiles (in green as no.4) were restored in situ, but the original height of the pillars they stood on is unknown. This architectural feature is characteristic of public buildings in the urban centres of Cyprus during the 12th century BC.

The big circular water tank, adjacent to the east wall of Temple 1 (in blue as no.5), dates to the Hellenistic period. Several such tanks dating to this period were found in the area, indicating the presence of baths during this period.